Another YA summer...

I am so guilty of letting some of my best habits fall by the wayside during the school year and all that it brings. This school year saw me faking it till I made it through another year of running student council, jumping into the insanity of working full time while pursing a master's degree, and trying to balance all of that with making it to Orange Theory more than once a week. I love to read, and I have the best intentions, but for some reason, when life gets hectic, reading for pleasure is the first thing to go. And I do this knowing that reading is an act that centers me, calms me, and brings me joy. Having summers off is essential for me as a teacher to reset, reorganize, and re-energize myself for the year ahead. Summer allows me to get back to my best habits in hopes that this time around I maintain them.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely read during the school year, but not with the voracity that I do during the summer. I'm not even sure I am less busy in the summer, but something about summer allows me to relax and unashamedly take time for me. This summer, I'm taking four courses in order to complete my degree, and I have two week long professional learning engagements. Summer is when I (try to) catch up on all the books that I've been adding to my "to-read" list not knowing when, if ever, I'll circle back to them.

This course provides structure that encourages the kind of reading I want to be doing but tell myself I don't have time for. The reading list is raw and relevant, and I know my students who read will be finding their way to many of these books over the summer. I also know that I can use these books as a life line for students who do and do not consider themselves readers when fall comes. So, mainly, I'm looking for time to slow down, let myself do what I love, and establish reading habits that wont be defeated by the chaos of a new school year, a new prep, or planning the homecoming dance.

Another thing I love about courses that blend MEd an MAT students is that we are all coming to this work from so many different angles, philosophies, and levels of experience. With only three years under my belt, I by no means consider myself an expert on any of this, but I remember what it was like to be a first year teacher and wondering if it was "worth it" to push the boundaries with a disruptive book. Also, after three years, I understand why people leave teaching. I understand why, for some people, the costs outweigh the benefits, and interacting with teachers who are fresh and ready to make a difference helps me to resist that jadedness I see in so many colleagues. New teachers have the best ideas, and I always feel so lucky to share academic spaces and collaborate with them.

English Ed at UGA has come to represent a home and a family for me, so as always, I am happy to be here reading alongside so many bright young people! Thanks for letting me learn with you!


Comments

  1. Jordi, I am really excited to learn from you and with you. I am with you in being excited to be able to hear from so many different teacher voices that are coming from different experiences and spaces. It is so valuable and refreshing to be in a teacher community, like you said, that is eager to grow and to learn together.

    Also, in your introduction video I loved hearing that you've stayed at your student teaching school. I am about to do the same and I am excited to see what the transition from student teaching to being a full on teacher is like.

    I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts and experiences!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is literacy?

YA in practice

Alternative Book Report- Thunderhead By Neal Shusterman