Mental Health in YA Lit
I've noticed that YA texts dealing with issues of mental health are particularly popular among students in my classroom. I believe this is the case for a couple of reasons. I think many students gravitate to these books because they cannot relate to the struggles of the characters which makes the story more interesting to them. I think some students pick up these books because they dive into topics that the adults in their lives are hesitant to discuss. In some cases, I've known students to pick up a book about a specific mental illness because they are curious to know more.
Kia Richmond discusses the issue of language in YA texts about mental health. She notes that many of the terms used throughout these novels, both by people who struggle with mental health and those around them, are derogatory in nature. Richmond claims that students are using over 200 different words to describe those with mental illness and that this misnaming comes from a lack of knowledge about mental health. She points to the importance of discussing this with students, and I think this is very important. While these slang terms aren't authentic language used to describe mental illness by medical professionals, they can be authentic representations of the way students in school may refer to people with mental health struggles or issues of mental health in general. These books therefore would be less authentic without this harmful language, but this means that teachers have a job to do. Teachers should be explicitly discussing with students the reasons that harmful language exists in the novels that are read in their classrooms, and this spans many more sub genres outside of mental health. Teachers should be opening this dialogue with their students so that they understand the purpose of this language within the text, but also so they may think twice before using one of these terms themselves.
I was pleased to learn that Dr. Richmond's research had so far shown that the representations of symptoms of mental illnesses were represented accurately throughout YA lit. One of my biggest fears as a teacher is that a "bad book" slips through my curated list of titles, and then I am responsible for putting a book into the hands of students that is not accurate or authentic. Books that do not accurately represent mental illness can work to perpetuate deep seated stigma against mental illness and people who struggle with mental health. I feel a lot of pressure to become an overnight expert on any mental health condition featured within a book in my classroom, so that I know the book is an accurate portrayal, but also so I can be there to talk openly and honestly with students when they have questions. I know that I am not required to be an expert, but the pressure I put on myself is still present. The flip side of this, as Dr. Richmond notes, is that teens should not be using these novels to self diagnose, and teachers must be aware that mental illnesses exist and manifest in many different ways. The symptoms experienced by characters in a novel may be accurate but not comprehensive. This is a discussion that needs to be delicately had with students as well.
Dr. Richmond quotes UGA Language and Literacy alum, and one of my mentors, Michelle Falter, who urges teachers to brave because our students already are. They are there and they are ready to discuss topics that make us uncomfortable. Richmond urges teachers to use these texts in order to teach empathy. She explains that students who struggle with mental illness are being bullied inside and outside of the classroom. One step we can take as teachers to rectify this is to use our curriculum to inspire social change. We can use fictional characters to teach real life teenagers about empathy. We can literally teach them to relate to the types of people they would typically shun. We can use literature to influence they way the treat each other.
I do not struggle with mental health, but as a reader, some of my favorite YA texts fall into this sub genre. I think this is because I like to learn more about people who aren't necessarily like me. If we can teach our students to be interested in experiences other than their own, we've won half the battle.
Kia Richmond discusses the issue of language in YA texts about mental health. She notes that many of the terms used throughout these novels, both by people who struggle with mental health and those around them, are derogatory in nature. Richmond claims that students are using over 200 different words to describe those with mental illness and that this misnaming comes from a lack of knowledge about mental health. She points to the importance of discussing this with students, and I think this is very important. While these slang terms aren't authentic language used to describe mental illness by medical professionals, they can be authentic representations of the way students in school may refer to people with mental health struggles or issues of mental health in general. These books therefore would be less authentic without this harmful language, but this means that teachers have a job to do. Teachers should be explicitly discussing with students the reasons that harmful language exists in the novels that are read in their classrooms, and this spans many more sub genres outside of mental health. Teachers should be opening this dialogue with their students so that they understand the purpose of this language within the text, but also so they may think twice before using one of these terms themselves.
I was pleased to learn that Dr. Richmond's research had so far shown that the representations of symptoms of mental illnesses were represented accurately throughout YA lit. One of my biggest fears as a teacher is that a "bad book" slips through my curated list of titles, and then I am responsible for putting a book into the hands of students that is not accurate or authentic. Books that do not accurately represent mental illness can work to perpetuate deep seated stigma against mental illness and people who struggle with mental health. I feel a lot of pressure to become an overnight expert on any mental health condition featured within a book in my classroom, so that I know the book is an accurate portrayal, but also so I can be there to talk openly and honestly with students when they have questions. I know that I am not required to be an expert, but the pressure I put on myself is still present. The flip side of this, as Dr. Richmond notes, is that teens should not be using these novels to self diagnose, and teachers must be aware that mental illnesses exist and manifest in many different ways. The symptoms experienced by characters in a novel may be accurate but not comprehensive. This is a discussion that needs to be delicately had with students as well.
Dr. Richmond quotes UGA Language and Literacy alum, and one of my mentors, Michelle Falter, who urges teachers to brave because our students already are. They are there and they are ready to discuss topics that make us uncomfortable. Richmond urges teachers to use these texts in order to teach empathy. She explains that students who struggle with mental illness are being bullied inside and outside of the classroom. One step we can take as teachers to rectify this is to use our curriculum to inspire social change. We can use fictional characters to teach real life teenagers about empathy. We can literally teach them to relate to the types of people they would typically shun. We can use literature to influence they way the treat each other.
I do not struggle with mental health, but as a reader, some of my favorite YA texts fall into this sub genre. I think this is because I like to learn more about people who aren't necessarily like me. If we can teach our students to be interested in experiences other than their own, we've won half the battle.
Comments
Post a Comment