Reflections on Twitterchat!

So, the twitterchat was so much fun. I love how it provided us with a chance for genuine dialogue. I think that is so valuable in online courses because so often in online courses we just go through the motions without any meaningful learning, but experiences like twitterchat and flipgrid make our efforts worthy.

First, I loved our working discussion about the difference between middle grades and YA lit. Everyone had something insightful to add, but I think we all agreed that middle grades texts are books that are accessible and interesting to middle grades readers. Sometimes that means that the characters are also in middle grades, sometimes that means that the subject matter is highly relatable to middle grade readers, and sometimes that means that the themes covered seem controversial so middle grades readers want to pick them up! I refer to this as a working discussion because I don't think any of us felt like we had all the answers- and that is the best thing about our subject area- to learn you don't need all the answers.

I also appreciated all of the quality recommendations of where to find these texts. As a reader, I sometimes get overwhelmed because I enjoy so many different genres, but since I've been in the classroom, I've really prioritized YA because it's what my students are usually reading. I love YA, and I'll probably still be reading it when I'm 80. I feel like my students take my recommendations more seriously because I am a YA reader, and I show interest in texts that are made for them. I think that validates them as readers that I'm honest with them about the fact that these texts have merit too! TKAM is not the only book that matters, and in all honesty their are waaaaaay better texts to use to talk to students about race relations and injustice (I'm sorry Harper Lee!!!).

All in all this was a great experience- and I value all of your opinions so much- so thanks again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is literacy?

YA in practice

Alternative Book Report- Thunderhead By Neal Shusterman